Monday, August 25, 2008

Random Monday Memories

I was sitting here eating my lunch (leftover meat loaf & a salad, no dessert) and all of a sudden I started thinking about pineapple upside down cake (henceforth known as p.u.d. cake). Not just any p.u.d. cake mind you. I've been thinking about the ones my mom used to make...in the big, old, black, iron skillet. I remember her making them when I was a little girl.



For awhile that p.u.d. cake was one of her standards to make. I remember watching her put it into the oven looking like no more than your basic yellow cake batter, except that it was in the skillet instead of the rectangular, metal cake pan. Then I remember when she took it out of the oven and ~ drum-roll please ~ turned it over onto the big, green plate (whatever happened to that plate). Nothing basic about it anymore! It was covered in pineapple slices and maraschino cherries and it looked GOOD!



Anyone that knows me knows that the kitchen is not my friend, so no one will be surprised to hear that I've never been real successful at making a p.u.d. cake. I tried, but never quite pulled it off. It just never looked like my mom's p.u.d. cake. The pineapples & cherries wouldn't stay in place ~ they seemed to rise (or sink depending on which side was up) and they were crooked. But look at this great pan ~ a p.u.d. cake pan with little homes for the pineapples and cherries ~ isn't that special!




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Maybe ~ if I find and buy the pan ~ I'll try this for Thanksgiving this year. My children are all grown-up now, so I won't be creating any childhood memories for them. But I bet Elijah & Charlotte will love to watch me bake and we could create new memories in the process!

No comments: