Sunday, June 14, 2009

Flag Day



I Pledge Allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, One Nation Under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.


Flag Day - the anniversary of the Flag Resolution of 1777 - was officially established by the Proclamation of President Woodrow Wilson on May 30th, 1916. While Flag Day was celebrated in various communities for years after Wilson's proclamation, it was not until August 3rd, 1949, that President Truman signed an Act of Congress designating June 14th of each year as National Flag Day.

In 1955 another monumental event happened on Flag Day. Marie Elizabeth (that's ME) was born ~ and the celebrations have continued to this day!
When I was a little girl I used to think that everyone put out their flags just for my birthday! Now that I'm older I realize that isn't true....just Jim & Peggy do that!

1 comment:

our shabby cottage said...

What a great post Marie and wishing you a very Happy Birthday to you with many more to come. Hope you have a wonderful day. Lots of love being sent your way, Kathryn.