Friday, January 8, 2010

One Little Word ~ Rest

Today I'd like to share the word I chose.


Focusing on this word, used in various ways, can have a powerful impact on my life this year.
Rest ~ I definitely don't get enough of it. I'm a night owl. But I also have to be at work at 8:30am. I have a bad habit of fighting past the first signs of being tired until I catch that second wind. So many books & blogs to read, so much laundry & cleaning to take care of and lots and lots of errands to run ~ it's difficult to squeeze it all in after 5:00pm and before bedtime (whenever that is!). But squeeze it in I do and then when I'm done and ready to sleep, I'm too wound up. By the time I'm tired again the clock says the alarm will be going off in five hours! Oh my goodness ~ I need to fall asleep right away! I need to have those five hours!
I don't know about you, but I don't fall asleep well under pressure, even self-induced pressure. And so it goes. Many nights those five hours turn into four or three.........
I definitely need to work on this aspect of rest.
I know there must be a good idea or two or three out there for me!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This very subject has been on my mind all year long. I know that most of us are sleep deprived, however, we all have different sleep habits. For me, resting is a thing that I must purpose on. If I'm not going full speed ahead, I'm puttering or trying to accomplish some list. My secret was to marry a man that knows how to rest and I have him pull me down in the chair and sit and rest quite often. If it were not for him, I'd only sleep 3-4 hrs a night. On average I consider 7 hrs a fabulous night for me...few and far between however.

Anonymous said...

Marie, me too! My mind won't shut off at night when I've had a busy or stressful day. Warm milk or chamomile tea - but usually around 2-3 am will finally put me to sleep! But then for only a couple of hours because I'll have to go potty! LOL! Catch-22! ;-)

Blessings! Diane

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Hope you're getting that much needed rest, Marie. It was so delightful to hear from you. I sure miss visiting. But everytime I see my little Raggedy sitting on my quilt ladder, I think of you.

Wishing you loads of blessings this coming year!

Hugs, Lea