Thursday, May 13, 2010

Look Out For Tipping Dishes & Fish

My 92 year old father-in-law moved in with us 2 1/2 years ago.
I truly enjoy having him with us.
I also really enjoy my conversations with him.
He wears a hearing aid ~ when he wants to.
I'd like to share a short conversation I had with him Tuesday evening.
Tuesday was one of those days he didn't want to wear his hearing aid!

Dad: Dinner was good.
Me: Thanks ~ how about some ice cream for dessert.
Dad: I'll have some in about an hour.
~:~
One Hour Later
Me: Here's your ice cream.
Dad: Well, thank you!
Me: There's two scoops of Coffee and one scoop of Dulce Delish.
Dad: Don't tip the dish?
Me: No, (speaking slowly) Dulce Delish. It's a new flavor Mandy picked up.
Dad: (shaking his head & looking at his bowl of ice cream) I don't know about Coffee and fish!

Dish or Fish or Dulce Delish ~ he liked it.
The bowl is empty and he's enjoying a little nap.


The older the redwoods, the more majestic. The older wines and cheeses are, the more they are praised and honored for taste. Should it not hold true that the older a man, the more he is to be appreciated by others.

9 comments:

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Hi Marie,
Ohhhh, this story and precious photo melted my heart. I'm so glad you shared it with us.
I also LOVED the photo of the little ones in the Park. Super Cute...and funny! : )
But of course, the one that I missed last week, that touched me the most was your Post about your little Ronnie. I can't get over how precious that picture is of you holding Ronnie. What a blessing it is that you had that taken. I'm so sorry that you have been asked to carry that trial in this life. I lost my Preston to cancer when he was 18 years old. And I too, consider it an honor to have been the mother of someone so valiant, that they didn't even need the test of this earth life for long. I so look forward to seeing him again one day, as I'm sure your family looks forward to being with Ronnie again, too.
Much love,
Mary Lou

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

It's wonderful that you take such good care of your father-in-law, Marie! Thank you for sharing this funny conversation! It made me chuckle! I'm glad that Dad tried coffee and fish and even liked it ;-). Ben & Jerry's ice cream is so yummy! I especially love the kinds that have crunchy pieces of chocolate, caramel or brittle in it.
Big hugs,
Julia

Michelle Palmer said...

So very sweet~ and to be treasured :)

Unknown said...

A good laugh a day, keeps the blues away. Thanks for adding to my happiness today. I especially love this because of my work with seniors daily. They are so funny. I said to one last week....Would you like a rootbeer float? He said, heck no, I don't want to go in a boat! He is hard of hearing too. One day we may be there...

Diva Kreszl said...

what a delightful story, you must have some very dear conversations with your FIL and what a blessing that you are there for him.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

What a sweet guy! I liked the conversation you both shared... and the thoughtful words at the end of your post!

Ann said...

That sounds like a conversation that could take place here..lol I totally agree with your closing statement. He sounds like a great guy and from the picture he doesn't look 92.

Gettysburg Homestead said...

LOL I have conversations like this everyday with some of my patients!!!! They are just to fun.

Hmmm... haven't tried that flavor yet I like Chunky Monkey myself. But coffee ice cream is the best!!! I like the mocha chip blizzrd from Dairy Queen. Yummy coffee and chocolate together.

Mary

Minda said...

Wonderful story and thanks for sharing!!!