Monday, July 5, 2010

In My Garden



I can't decide if I should wait until they get red or pick them now and make this recipe. What would you do?

Fried Green Tomatoes
Ingredients
3 medium, firm green tomatoes
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup milk
2 beaten eggs
2/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs or cornmeal
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Cut unpeeled tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices. Sprinkle slices with salt and pepper. Let tomato slices stand for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, place flour, milk, eggs, and bread crumbs in separate shallow dishes. Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Dip tomato slices in milk, then flour, then eggs, then bread crumbs. In the skillet, fry half of the coated tomato slices at a time, for 4-6 minutes on each side or until brown. As you cook the rest of the tomatoes, add olive oil as needed.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.

5 comments:

Linda K. said...

Yum. I haven't had friend green tomatoes in many years. My mother use to make them when they had their garden in the country. Thanks for stopping by dear lady!

Linda

Lululiz said...

Sounds too delicious, so I'd say, go for it!

Ann said...

I had never even heard of fried green tomatoes until the movie by that name came out. I've heard they are quite delicious but I've never tried them. I like mine nice and ripe :)

Sheila said...

Oh! Marie my mouth is watering! We LOVE fried green tomatoes at our house. If you girls have never tried them you must. A bit of a tangy taste but so yummy. My MIL taught me to make them and we can't ever get enough.
We love our red tomatoes too but the green ones are a special summer treat you can't get later in the year.
Try it! ;-)

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

Hi Marie, I've never eaten green tomatoes but the recipe sounds yummy to me. Why not try it. If you do so, please let us know if you enjoyed them.
Hugs,
Julia