Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Living in the Moment

I had such a great time taking those pictures of my grandbabies (the ones in the previous post). I love to spend time with them....reading, singing, hugging, snapping pictures! I love their sweet little faces and their smiles brighten my day ~ just like sunshine. I love the feel of their soft skin and that fresh baby smell (well ~ usually they smell fresh)! I love the sounds they make.
And I love that, in them, God has given me a do-over....

You see, while I was visiting another blog today, I discovered "the biggest mistake I made (as a parent)". Melissa at 320 Sycamore shared some "words to live by" (from Loud and Clear by Anna Quindlen) that touched my heart. In turn, I'd like to share them with you.

"I did not live in the moment enough. That is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of the three of them sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day....I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less."

I have so many pictures of my children that I've looked at and wondered the same things Anna Quindlen wonders. We get so busy and we're so focused on getting it all done. It's easy to lose sight of the delight of just doing.....

I'm so grateful that I had time to browse my blog roll today. I'm so grateful that Anna Quindlen shared her heart and that Melissa was so touched by what Anna shared that she had to share it too. And I'm so grateful for the do-over that God has given me. My grandbabies and I are going to fill a treasure chest with "doings"!

3 comments:

Jo said...

Good words to live by.

BTW, the inside of Joe's card said "Have a happy father's day and you enjoy your PRESENTS!". Nothin fancy.

Scrap for Joy said...

Such an important message Marie. My husband always says "Don't be so preoccupied trying to be a 'Martha' that you don't take the opportunity to be a 'Mary'. (so does that mean I don't have to clean as much?????)

Regina said...

Great thoughts! And ones I needed today. I can't relish moments with my kids just yet (one day...) but I *can* remember not to rush, and to enjoy the moments I have with the friends and family I love so much.