Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Road Less Traveled


My father-in-law is 93 years old.  He still has a driver's license and he still drives. He never goes too far.  Usually he's headed to places like the bank, his doctors, Walmart or the Library. 
He sticks to familiar routes....until today.

Mandy was home from work (sick) today and my FIL didn't realize that.  But he did realize that her Jeep was parked behind his car ~ and he had a doctor appointment. 
When it was time to go to his doctor appointment he said: "I looked down the stairs to her room and saw that the lights were all off so I said S#@*!  I never drove her Jeep before so I decided to just try and get mine out.  I was a little concerned that I might put some ruts in the lawn ~ but a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!"

He told me that he pulled forward a little bit and then backed up onto the lawn and then pulled up a bit to straighten out and then backed up again and so on and so on and so on.....

" I was a little worried about ruining the lawn but then but it's not in the best shape anyway.  It's a good thing that I drove over it because I found out that my kidneys are good!  I think finding that out is worth some ruts in the lawn!"

I told him that I was glad that his kidneys were okay - and did he know that Mandy was home all day?  He did not - he just figured she got a ride to work with Katie.  If he had known he would have asked her to move her own car!

I'll take moments with him over a nice lawn any day!


No we don't have things blooming right now - this is an old photo. I just wanted you to see
where he (and Mandy) usually park.  The Jeep was much closer to his car
yesterday....hence the "backed up and pulled forward again and again".

3 comments:

Simply Shelley said...

Cute story...so glad he got a good report from his doctor...bet he shared the story with his doc too....my dad is 81 and says he will live to be 100...I hope he does....your FIL is a great inspiration....I can sense your love for him in your words.....blessings

Ann said...

I always enjoy hearing stories about your father in law. He sounds like he's a real gem.

Hopemore Studio said...

Bwahahaha..a road less traveled...through your lawn.... I think he (and you) are priceless.

Angie