Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Crazy Quilt

Just look at this beautiful piece of history that was recently gifted to me.  This crazy quilt dates back to the 1880s...and it's in remarkable shape considering it's over 130 years old.  There are a lot of pieces that have disintegrated.  You can see the creamy colored cotton batting showing through in many spots.  There's also some fabric pieces that have tears and frayed fabric. 
But there are many areas that are just wonderful! 
 

I love the little bits of extra stitching, and the red with black polka-dots piece is fun.
 


Great colors in this section.
 

I love this piece with the black velvet roses, and the red, white and blue piece is a bit of ribbon.
 





I'd love to try and save a big enough piece to display on the end of a bed, and I'd also like to make a pillow to use in my family room.  It's such a wonderful piece of history, and I want to preserve as much of it as possible.
 





I'm so grateful to the friend who gave this.  She and her husband have an extensive collection of history in their home....most of it from the years surrounding the Civil War.  She regularly gifts me with sweet treasures to create with...this quilt is, by far, the most  wonderful thing she's ever given me.  Such a special gift!


5 comments:

Wish You Were Here Mom said...

Beautiful! All the wonderful fabrics and stitching - such a great gift!

Jo said...

Oh my gosh, what an awesome quilt! Things that old make me think about what the person making it was thinking while creating. Was she getting frustrated or having fun? How did she come up with the idea? Things like that. Of course I'll never know the answers, but it's fun to think about. It is, indeed, a very nice piece of history.

Peggy said...

What a beautiful old quilt. Please don't forget to show off what you make from it. Oooh, the possibilities!

Ann said...

That is a beautiful quilt. I can't wait to see what you are going to do with it.

Susan Holt Simpson said...

OMGosh! You are so blessed to have this special quilt!
My favorite kind, and an ambition of mine!

s